We aim not only to create beautiful surroundings, but to also safeguard our environment. Outdoor Living is committed to promoting and contributing to a clean and safe environment. Since we began in 1998, our concern for the earth has been a major factor in how we conduct business. From the products we offer, to the way we operate day-to-day, we have strived for minimal impact on our planet. Yes, it costs us a bit more, but good business is about more than just dollars and cents.
What could be greener than living outdoors? Fresh air, natural light, the feel of the wind, sounds of nature – Outdoor Living is more than just a resource for furniture, we want to make a statement on how we should all be living in a more organic way, embracing the beauty of nature and its bounty.
We encourage our local craftsmen and artisans to partner with us in offering Hawaiian made products. Where we must import, we do so directly from the source rather than through middlemen typically located on the mainland. The result is less miles traveled from beginning to end, which saves in distance traveled, fuel consumed, carbon produced, and ultimately costs for our clients.
We at Outdoor Living have carefully chosen products that are superior in craftsmanship whilst being distinctive in design. Each piece is a combination of the most recent technological advances in outdoor materials and freshness in design. Passing down the generations of a family, or gifting to others, our furnishings need never see their lives end at a landfill. And in the event that their use is no longer desired many years from now, every bit of our furniture can be recycled or reused.
- TEAK. Considered the best material for outdoor furnishings, teak provides a longevity that will span generations. Virtually impervious to the elements, teak’s high oil content enables it to naturally repel moisture and insects while preventing it from drying out, rotting or warping. A natural material, it is inherently biodegradable. Our teak is only sourced from government-sanctioned plantations in those countries with sustainable teak policies.
- WEAVE. Recent advances in outdoor technology has produced a resin fiber material which is highly supple, tear resistant, UV resistant and weather resistant. The polyethylene based, extruded and through-dyed material is also completely weatherproof, insensitive to differences in temperature and extremely hard wearing. This polyethylene material is completely recyclable and can be dropped off at any plastics recycling location.
- FRAMES. Fully welded, powder-coated aluminum frames provide maximum strength combined with light weight. The entire frame is electro-statically powder coated in a tough, solvent-free smooth finish that matches the color of the weave, fully protecting the frame against corrosion and becoming virtually invisible after weaving. The aluminum is easily recycled.
- FINISHES. Water-based coatings are used to finish teak products when desired. Our maintenance products not only perform better than traditional oil-based products, but they are also safe for the environment. Completely free of solvents (voc’s) because they are water-based, these products do not irritate the skin or produce noxious fumes and are completely biodegradable.
- TEXTILES. Our textiles collection includes the industry mainstay Sunbrella. It’s unique coloring process avoids harmful effluents associated with conventional dyeing processes and dramatically reduces water and energy consumption. Sunbrella fabrics are engineered for a serviceable lifespan two to ten times longer than conventional fabrics. The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends the use of UV resistant fabrics in the prevention of sun-induced damage to the skin.
Our Work Environment:
Living on an island, we know better than most how important it is to recycle, reuse, and reduce.
We Recycle all of our cardboard shipping materials, as well as wooden pallets, plastic bottles, aluminum cans and newspaper. No longer needed electronics such as computers and cell phones are donated to charitable organizations. Empty printer cartridges are either refilled or recycled through office supply companies.
We Reuse all of our scrap paper for internal office use, including junk mail scrap. We also reuse shipping and packaging materials.
We Reduce our impact on the environment by the following:
- Only natural air conditioning. Hawaii is blessed with an abundance of trade winds.
- Minimal use of conventional lighting and use of energy efficient LED lighting in the showroom. Only natural lighting in the warehouse areas.
- Lights off in infrequently used rooms, such as the restroom.
- The computer and printer stay on energy saving settings.
- Use of energy efficient appliances for our offices.
- Print on both sides of paper for internal or personal use documents.
- Utilize email whenever possible to reduce paper waste. Similarly the company fax is redirected to email.
- No disposable kitchenware in the lunch facilities.
- Refillable water dispenser in the office refrigerator.
- Clean cotton towels in the restroom.
- Telecommute when possible.
- Limit the use of disposable products at sponsored lunches and events.
- Redistribute extra food from company events and lunches with staff or to local charities